Oregon Shepherd Loose Sheep Wool Insulation – 7×8 R21 Wall-in-a-Box
Oregon Shepherd’s made-in-the-USA 25-pound loose sheep wool insulation wall-in-a-box may be blown in, or placed by hand.
Each box includes enough wool to insulate a 7×8 wall at R21, and includes netting to hold the wool in place.
Here is a blog from one of our customers who set out on a journey of home maintenance full of investigation, research, and surprises resulting in a holistic approach to renovation: Love Laugh and Make Lemonade – How to Knit Your House a Sweater
If placing by hand:
- You may want to order a little extra, as it is trickier to get the proper density
- Your wool arrives in a box packed to about 6 times the installation density, so each cubic foot of packed wool will need to be ‘fluffed’ to about six cubic feet.
- One trick is to put portions of the wool in a large plastic bag and using a shop-vac on reverse, insert the nozzle into the bag and fluff the wool.
When blowing in loose sheep wool:
- You can expect a 10 foot projection of the material from the end of the hose.
- There is not much that you have to do differently for sheep wool versus fiberglass/cellulose:
- Sheep Wool is more dense than fiberglass and cellulose.
- Don’t run your airlock wide-open. Keep it about 2/3rds open.
- Run your air wide open.
- Don’t attempt to dense pack with any hose diameter smaller than 2″.
- The folks at InsulationMachines.net recommend the CM2400 for sheep wool.
- However, John mentioned that they prefer the FibreForce blower by Intec for the best application.
Wall, ceiling, and floor insulation is often used as a component of soundproofing. Any insulation product will improve your soundproofing compared to a hollow cavity.
However, if you are attempting to address a serious sound control problem that is impacting health or relationships with family or neighbors, you will want to educate yourself on the intricacies of sound control problems and the corresponding solutions. We recommend you start by visiting our friends at the Soundproofing Company as they are the industry experts.