First Alert Mold Test Kit (MT1)
Mold causes health problems, including chronic sinus and respiratory infections and asthma. This mold test kit is for you if you want to know if your home or workplace is affected by toxic mold. Mold Test Kid safely and accurately tests for and identifies various types of molds in the home or workplace. Mold test kit includes test strips, bags for samples, and instructions. Mail samples to lab – there is a lab analysis fee per sample.
Molds usually grow in damp places, behind walls and under floors, above ceiling tiles or behind shower walls — wherever there are wet cellulose materials they can feed on, such as wood, ceiling tiles, plasterboard, or accumulations of organic material inside air-conditioning and heating systems. Water is the key. Without it, molds can’t get started, much less spread. When water is left to sit for even 24 hours, common molds can take hold. If water continues to sit and areas become completely saturated, that’s when a more lethal mold can move in.
- New houses are more prone to mold problems than older houses, but a bad leak in any house anywhere in the country can cause a mold problem if not properly taken care of.
- A 1999 Mayo Clinic study pegged nearly all the chronic sinus infections afflicting 37 million Americans to molds.
- Recent studies also have linked molds to the tripling of the asthma rate over the past 20 years.
- Common molds cause health problems, including chronic sinus and respiratory infections and asthma.
Lethal molds that produce airborne toxins, mycotoxins, can cause:
- Serious breathing difficulties.
- Memory and hearing loss.
- Flulike symptoms.
- Bleeding in the lungs.
Prolonged exposure to mycotoxins can cause:
- Chronic fatigue.
- Loss of balance.
- Memory loss.
- Difficulty speaking.
How to protect your home from unhealthful molds
- Keep water out and fix any leaks within 24 hours.
- Be on the lookout for discoloration of walls, ceiling, or anything made of wood or paper. Mold growth can be almost any color: white, black, green, fluorescent.
- Look behind cabinets or pictures on cold outside walls, where condensation can occur. Keep furniture away from outside walls.
- Check around air handling units (air conditioners, furnaces) for stagnant water. Keep these units serviced with regular cleaning of ducts and air filters.
- Be aware of odors. Mildew has been described as pungent, or “aromatic”.
- Know the symptoms of mold-related illness, which can range from chronic sinus infections and asthma to nosebleeds, extreme fatigue, severe headaches, dizziness, rashes and central nervous system problems. Do the symptoms get better when you go on vacation and worse when you come home?
- Use a Mold Test Kit to check for mold in your home. Mold testing by certified professional organizations costs $200-$500.
- Should your home Mold Test Kit test positive, contact a professional mold removal company.