Black Mountain Sheep Wool Insulation – One Roll of 24 inch material
Black Mountain Black Mountain Sheep Wool Insulation – 24 inch – is an excellent general purpose natural wool insulation fiber product designed for use in walls, loft, rafter, attic, and inter-floor applications.
Wool insulation is not only breathable but also able to absorb, retain and release moisture without affecting its thermal properties or performance. Wool insulation is ideal for breathable wall construction.
The manufacture of sheep wool insulation requires 90 percent less energy to manufacture than mineral wool insulation. In use, the durability and moisture control properties of wool allow for a higher level of performance and longevity, retaining its insulating properties for the life of the building. Wool is naturally fire resistant and is treated with Thorlan IW so as to heighten its vermin and insect resistance.
- Controls condensation, wool absorbs and releases moisture yet doesn’t lose it’s thermal performance, wool can in fact absorb up to 40 percent of its own weight and remain dry, to the touch.
- Wool actually heats up when absorbing moisture by up to 45 degrees F, this increases the dew point temperature reducing the risk of condensation.
- Wool absorbs harmful gasses, e.g. formaldehyde, and then locks them up permanently. Man made insulation emits gases.
- A better insulator compared to glass fiber insulation, requiring 10 percent less thickness to achieve the same insulating factor.
- Glass fiber thermal performance deteriorates dramatically when any moisture is present, wool’s performance is not affected.
- Wool will last for the life of the building due to the resilience of wool, glass fiber may compact and require topping up after 10 years.
- Wool is truly sustainable, a yearly clip of wool is available as a by-product of the livestock farming. Mineral wool depletes the world’s resources.
- Wool is a “Carbon sink”, it actually locks up CO2, man-made pollutes CO2 during its manufacture.
- Very low energy required in its manufacture, requiring 85 percent less energy compared to man- made products.
- Biodegradable at the end of its life.
- Safe to handle, no skin or respiratory problems typical of mineral wool.
- Wool is naturally fire retardant
- Lastly sheep wool insulation is a product of choice from the consumers perspective, who continue to express their concerns with mineral wool insulation.
Sheep Wool insulation is designed for use in new and existing buildings within walls, loft, rafter, attic, and for inter-floor use. Wool insulation is ideal for dry lining on external walls and throughout all parts of wooden framed buildings. Sheep wool insulation is increasingly popular for Van and Bus conversions as well as RVs – visit our Van Conversion Page to see information for and from people converting vans and buses. A partial list of what our customers use our insulation for:
- Home Thermal Insulation
- Van, Bus, RV Insulation (see our van conversion page here)
- Custom Speaker Enclosures
- Insulating Bee Hives
These 24″ rolls are 22.5″ wide, designed to fit snugly between 24″-on-center framing members (studs or joists).
- The R13 product is 16 feet long (32 square feet of effective coverage when installed within standard 24″ on-center wood framing)
- The R19 product is 12 feet long (24 square feet of effective coverage when installed within standard 24″ on-center wood framing).
(If your framing is 16″ on center then click here for our: 16″ wool insulation.)
Calculate the number of rolls you require:
- Calculating Wall Square Footage use Length times Height (LxH). Simply multiply length of walls L by height of walls H to derive your total needed square footage.
- Calculating Floor, Ceiling or Attic Square Footage use (LxW). Simply multiple length L of floor/ceiling/attic by width W to derive your total needed square footage.
- If using R13, divide total square footage by 32/sf roll for required number of rolls
- If using R19, divide total square footage by 24/sf roll for required number of rolls
You may qualify for reduced costs if:
- You are a contractor with a current contractor’s license from your home state and have a need for several orders into the future.
- You are insulating a whole home, a commercial building, several apartments, etc.
- Your order size merits a pallet, at which point you will realize a reduced cost in shipping possibly reduced material cost.
If you think that you qualify, please click here for a Wool Insulation Quote, or call 231.399.0700 ext.3
Note: Shipping Cost is calculated using dimensional weight, not actual weight:
Like feathers in a big box, insulation is super light but bulky. So, carriers use dimensional weight, not actual weight to calculate the cost to ship insulation. Insulation is our most expensive product to ship. After loading your shopping cart with your required rolls, don’t be surprised if your shipping cost is greater than your material cost, especially if you are ordering just a few rolls. If, however, you are certain that your order’s shipping cost is inaccurate, do not hesitate to use our Wool Insulation Quote form, we would be happy to calculate your order’s shipping cost by submitting a RFQ from all of our major carriers. Please budget a minimum of 24 hours to receive a quote.
Residential Roll Sizes
R13: 3.5 inches x 22.5 inches x 16 feet (30 Sq Ft per roll if installed edge-to-edge, 32 Sq Ft per roll between 24″-on-center framing members)
R19: 5.25 inches x 22.5 inches x 12 feet (22.5 Sq Ft per roll if installed edge-to-edge, 24 Sq Ft per roll between 24″-on-center framing members)
Wool is naturally fire retardant, the material only chars since there is insufficient oxygen in the atmosphere to support combustion of wool. In the event of a fire, wool will not add to the fire risk and produces no toxic gases.
Black Mountain Sheep Wool insulation is treated with Thorlan IW to resist moths:
“Thorlan IW is applied at a level of at least 1% on weight of wool. Thorlan is a titanium based treatment which does not evaporate or diminish with time and remains with the fibre during its entire period of use as insulation or in storage prior to that. It is applied chemically to the wool fibre and cannot be removed mechanically. Thorlan IW is not destroyed by washing, humidity or by long continued exposure to UV-radiation. The active substance is not inclined under usual conditions to sublimation. The production of the active substance takes place in a standardised procedure. The product quality is constantly supervised. Thorlan IW is in the European Union chemical law register of certified products.”
Here are some links regarding Thorlan IW:
Why Sheep Wool?
Sheep Wool is Warmer
- Sheep wool insulation has a 10% greater insulating factor than many traditional glass fiber insulations.
- Sheep wool is very hygroscopic; it is unique in that it generates significant heat as moisture is absorbed. The heat generated increases the dew point and thus reduces the risk of interstitial condensation.
- Wool draws out moisture from the building and allows it to evaporate out of the building. It maintains its thermal performance even after absorbing up to 30% moisture. Traditional mineral wool thermal performance can deteriorate by up to 50% with only a few percentage points of moisture absorption leading to increased condensation.
Sheep Wool is Safer
- Sheep wool is unique in its ability to absorb and lock up toxic gases (sulpher dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, and formaldehyde). Man made insulations and exhausts can emit these gases.
- Wool is safe to handle and install requiring no protective clothing or equipment and exhibiting no skin or respiratory problems typically associated with mineral wool products (VOC / Carcinogen warnings)
- Wool is a Carbon sink; it actually locks up CO2; man-made insulations can pollute CO2 during their manufacture.
- Wool is naturally fire retardant resulting in higher ignition temperatures, low flame spreads, and ability to self extinguish.
Sheep Wool is Smarter
- Sheep wool is truly sustainable: a yearly clip of wool is available as a by product of the livestock farming process.
- Naturally resilient and strong, yet can be torn by hand across direction to facilitate faster install times.
- Wool fiber has a natural spring which ensures that the insulation doesn’t compact over time (50+years) compared to mineral wool products that may compact and require topping after just 10 years.
- Man made insulation currently can only be disposed of into landfills whereas sheep’s wool insulation is 100% biodegradable and can be composted at the end of its life.
- Wool insulation requires very low energy to manufacture (embodied energy), requiring 85% less energy compared to man-made insulation products.
- Black Mountain sheep’s wool insulation can potentially help earn several points in registered LEED projects.
|Does not require carcinogen warning label||Yes||Yes||No|
|No VOCs or Off-gassing Issues||Yes||Yes||No|
|Does not contain Formaldehyde||Yes||Yes||No|
|Improves Indoor Air Quality||Yes||No||No|
|Uses Safe Natural Fibers||Yes||Yes||No|
|Superior Acoustic Properties||Yes||Yes||No|
|Requires Less Energy to Manufacture||Yes||No||No|
|Easy to Handle / Install||Yes||Yes||No|
|Easy / Safe to Cut||Yes||Yes||No|
|No Skin Irritation / Itching||Yes||Yes||No|
|No Protective Clothing Required||Yes||Yes||No|
Compare Our Insulation Products
- Oregon Shepherd Loose Sheep Wool Insulation
- Havelock Wool – Sheep Wool Insulation Batts
- Applegate Recycled Cotton Insulation Products
Sheep Wool Insulation Prices
In a well-spaced standard wall-framing there is usually enough friction for the insulation to stand within the wall cavity. If installing in a wall that is irregularly spaced or otherwise does not provide enough friction, or if installing between rafters or joists from below rather than from above, one may use insulation hangers, netting, or a staple gun to secure the insulation.
See more by clicking here on “Installing Wool Insulation”
If installing within rafters right below a roof, make sure you have ventilation from soffit vents up through a ridge vent and/or gable vents, or a roof-mount fan, or else use a vapor barrier.
Our Wool Customers Also Buy