Black Mountain SheepRoll Natural Wool Insulation Roll
Black Mountain SheepRoll is a general purpose natural wool insulation fiber product designed for use in a loft, rafter, internal wall, and inter-floor applications. SheepRoll meets and surpass US building product standards for Thermal, Fire, Mold Resistance, and Structural performance.
Wool insulation is not only breathable but also able to absorb, retain and release moisture without affecting its thermal properties or performance. Wool insulation is ideal for breathable wall construction.
The manufacture of sheep wool insulation requires 90% less energy to manufacture than mineral wool insulation. In use, the durability and moisture control properties of wool allow for a higher level of performance and longevity. Retaining its insulating properties for the life of the building.
The manufacture of sheep wool insulation requires 90 percent less energy to manufacture than mineral wool insulation. In use, the durability and moisture control properties of wool allow for a higher level of performance and longevity, retaining its insulating properties for the life of the building. Wool is naturally fire resistant and is treated with boron salts so as to heighten its vermin and insect resistance.
Please use our Wool Insulation Quote form if ordering more than 3 rolls. We will provide you with an estimate that meets your needs.
These 24″ rolls are 22.5″ wide, designed to fit snugly between 24″-on-center framing members (studs or joists). If your framing is 16″ on center then click here for our: 16″ wool insulation.
- Controls condensation, wool absorbs and releases moisture yet doesn’t lose it’s thermal performance, wool can in fact absorb up to 40 percent of its own weight and remain dry, to the touch.
- Wool actually heats up when absorbing moisture by up to 45 degrees F, this increases the dew point temperature reducing the risk of condensation.
- Wool absorbs harmful gasses, e.g. formaldehyde, and then locks them up permanently. Man made insulation emits gases.
- A better insulator compared to glass fiber insulation, requiring 10 percent less thickness to achieve the same insulating factor.
- Glass fiber thermal performance deteriorates dramatically when any moisture is present, wool’s performance is not affected.
- Wool will last for the life of the building due to the resilience of wool, glass fiber may compact and require topping up after 10 years.
- Wool is truly sustainable, a yearly clip of wool is available as a by-product of the livestock farming. Mineral wool depletes the world’s resources.
- Wool is a “Carbon sink”, it actually locks up CO2, man-made pollutes CO2 during its manufacture.
- Very low energy required in its manufacture, requiring 85 percent less energy compared to man- made products.
- Biodegradable at the end of its life.
- Safe to handle, no skin or respiratory problems typical of mineral wool.
- Lastly sheep wool insulation is a product of choice from the consumers perspective, who continue to express their concerns with mineral wool insulation.
Residential Roll Sizes
R13: 3.5 inches x 22.5 inches x 16 feet (30 Sq Ft per roll if installed edge-to-edge, 32 Sq Ft per roll between 24″-on-center framing members)
R19: 5.25 inches x 22.5 inches x 12 feet (22.5 Sq Ft per roll if installed edge-to-edge, 24 Sq Ft per roll between 24″-on-center framing members)
Wool is naturally fire retardant, the material only chars since there is insufficient oxygen in the atmosphere to support combustion of wool. In the event of a fire, wool will not add to the fire risk and produces no toxic gases.
SheepRoll insulation is designed for use in new and existing buildings within the loft, rafter, internal wall, and inter-floor use. Wool insulation is ideal for dry lining on external walls and throughout all parts of wooden framed buildings.
Why Sheep Wool?
Sheep Wool is Warmer
- Sheep wool insulation has a 10% greater insulating factor than many traditional glass fiber insulations.
- Sheep wool is very hygroscopic; it is unique in that it generates significant heat as moisture is absorbed. The heat generated increases the dew point and thus reduces the risk of interstitial condensation.
- Wool draws out moisture from the building and allows it to evaporate out of the building. It maintains its thermal performance even after absorbing up to 30% moisture. Traditional mineral wool thermal performance can deteriorate by up to 50% with only a few percentage points of moisture absorption leading to increased condensation.
Sheep Wool is Safer
- Sheep wool is unique in its ability to absorb and lock up toxic gases (sulpher dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, and formaldehyde). Man made insulations and exhausts can emit these gases.
- Wool is safe to handle and install requiring no protective clothing or equipment and exhibiting no skin or respiratory problems typically associated with mineral wool products (VOC / Carcinogen warnings)
- Wool is a Carbon sink; it actually locks up CO2; man-made insulations can pollute CO2 during their manufacture.
- Wool is naturally fire retardant resulting in higher ignition temperatures, low flame spreads, and ability to self extinguish.
Sheep Wool is Smarter
- Sheep wool is truly sustainable: a yearly clip of wool is available as a by product of the livestock farming process.
- Naturally resilient and strong, yet can be torn by hand across direction to facilitate faster install times.
- Wool fiber has a natural spring which ensures that the insulation doesn’t compact over time (50+years) compared to mineral wool products that may compact and require topping after just 10 years.
- Man made insulation currently can only be disposed of into landfills whereas sheep’s wool insulation is 100% biodegradable and can be composted at the end of its life.
- Wool insulation requires very low energy to manufacture (embodied energy), requiring 85% less energy compared to man-made insulation products.
- Black Mountain sheep’s wool insulation can potentially help earn several points in registered LEED projects.
|Does not require carcinogen warning label||Yes||Yes||No|
|No VOCs or Off-gassing Issues||Yes||Yes||No|
|Does not contain Formaldehyde||Yes||Yes||No|
|Improves Indoor Air Quality||Yes||No||No|
|Uses Safe Natural Fibers||Yes||Yes||No|
|Superior Acoustic Properties||Yes||Yes||No|
|Requires Less Energy to Manufacture||Yes||No||No|
|Easy to Handle / Install||Yes||Yes||No|
|Easy / Safe to Cut||Yes||Yes||No|
|No Skin Irritation / Itching||Yes||Yes||No|
|No Protective Clothing Required||Yes||Yes||No|